Iden Parish Council


Parish Council services:-

Iden sign

Parish Council agenda and minutes  

Councillor Responsibilities

Planning applications 

Highways Fault Reporting

Rother District Fault Reporting (e.g. flytipping, griffitti, abandoned vehicles)


Contact the council

Freedom of Information Requests

Iden Community Resilience Plan (word download)

Council Information

Iden Parish Council is insured by Zurich Municipal part of Zurich Insurance plc.

What is a Parish Council?

A Parish Council is a small local authority representing the tier of local authority closest to the community. Iden Parish Council has 6 members who are elected to serve a term of 4 years. They try to ensure that the views of the community are expressed and taken into account by other authorities, agencies and organisations responsible for taking decisions which affect Iden and its residents. Parish, town and community councils in England and Wales have a number of basic responsibilities in making the lives of local communities more comfortable, many of which are often taken for granted. Essentially these powers fall within three main categories: representing the whole electorate within the parish; delivering services to meet local needs; and striving to improve quality of life in the parish. Individual powers include the provision and maintenance of community transport schemes, traffic calming measures, local youth projects, tourism activities, leisure facilities, car parks, village greens, public lavatories, litter bins, street lighting, street cleaning, burial grounds, allotments, bus shelters, commons, opens spaces, footpaths, bridleways, and crime reduction measures. Community, parish and town councils can also comment on planning applications – they are statutory consultees (they have to be consulted if they so wish) and can be represented at public inquiries.

How often does the Parish Council meet and what happens at a meeting?

The Parish Council meets once every month, usually on the first Tuesday.  Meetings are held in the village hall and these usually commence at 7.30 p.m.  A notice of each meeting is placed on the notice board, and on this website, in the week prior to the meeting, so that members of the public can see what business the Parish Council will be conducting. The Parish Councillors will discuss and consider each item on the Agenda.  Sometimes they will resolve to take action on a matter; in other cases it will be necessary for the matter to be deferred so that further information or advice can be obtained. A period of time is set aside at each meeting for the public to ask questions and make reports.  This is also the public’s opportunity to make comments upon agenda items if they so wish, but it must be remembered that once the public session has finished the public should take no further part in the meeting except with the express permission of the Chairman.

How do I bring a matter to the attention of the Council ?

For faults such as potholes, pavements, signs etc. You should use the online fault reporting service listed above. You might be concerned about any number of matters, e.g. the cleanliness of the streets, dog fouling, highway related matters, anti-social behavior etc.  You can bring your concerns to the Council by: 1) speaking with or writing to a Councillor or the Clerk. You can use this link to contact the parish Clerk. Do this as soon as you become aware of a problem – the sooner an issue is reported the sooner the chance of it being resolved.  In appropriate cases, where the Parish Council has had sufficient notice of a problem (usually no less than 14 days before a meeting) and the problem is such that a formal decision by the Council is needed to progress the matter, an item may be put on the agenda for a formal discussion; 2) asking a question or reporting a matter during the public session at a Parish Council meeting.  This part of the meeting is intended to provide a means of exchanging information.  It is not possible for the Parish Council to take decisions on matters raised during this time.